Because yesterday was the Chinese New Year, I wanted to get some tikoy before the day ended. So right after work, I went to the nearest mall to try and find some. Chinese restaurants are a dime a dozen in this country and I figured I wouldn't have any trouble. Boy, was I wrong.
The mall was about to close and I still couldn't find any restaurant selling the stuff. I gave up and settled on celebrating the year of the rabbit by having a dinner of Chinese nomz at North Park. They didn't have tikoy but they did have something called Gabi Butchi on the desserts section of the menu.
| North Park's Gabi Butchi (p67) |
It came in a medium-sized plate that was too big to hold the tiny little gabi butchis. At 67 pesos for three butchis, I was expecting something more substantial than three small balls of sticky stuff coated with sesame seeds. Although disappointed at the serving size, I bit into the soft and sticky balls and discovered that they were rather tasty. The gabi sticky stuff was softer and less sticky than usual and it had a tiny bit of salted egg yolk in the middle that served as a nice contrast to the mild sweetness of the gabi.
Don't get me wrong, I love North Park, particularly their Toast Noodles and the Century Egg with Jelly Fish Salad but their Gabi Butchi, although good, is ridiculously overpriced at p23 a piece.
No comments:
Post a Comment